
'The scoreboard is ugly' – Erasmus rues South Africa's wastefulness in humbling All Blacks loss
South Africa head coach Rassie Erasmus conceded "the scoreboard is ugly" after they were soundly beaten by New Zealand in the first Test of Rugby's Greatest Rivalry series.
The Springboks were beaten 33-16 by the All Blacks at Ellis Park, with the hosts taking a 1-0 lead in the four-game series after South Africa's late collapse.
It was an utterly dominant performance by New Zealand, who finished with five tries to South Africa's one, while the visitors also had Marco van Staden and Cobus Reinach in the sin bin by the final whistle as they finished with 13 men.
It had been fairly even at half-time, with South Africa leading 13-12, despite Will Jordan and Josh Moorby scoring tries either side of Andre Esterhuizen crossing for them.
However, New Zealand's dominance told after the break, with Fabian Holland, Jordan and Luke Jacobson all dotting down to add to their score.
And while Erasmus promises South Africa will regroup, he noted just how well beaten his side were.
"The scoreboard is ugly – it isn't lekker [nice] to lose like that, and we were over the line with a maul try, and we lost the ball, and there were a few small things that we didn't do well in the first 60 where we were controlling territory and possession," he said.
"But we didn't get the points when we needed to, and they were clinical when they got their opportunities.
"Most teams lose a game or two here and there, and if we lose, it is natural for our fans to be unhappy.
Advantage NZ after the first Test in #RugbysGreatestRivalry. Well played @AllBlacks, see you next week in Cape Town
— Springboks (@Springboks) August 22, 2026
Match report: https://t.co/fUr8qDtRlp #Springboks #ForeverGreenForeverGold pic.twitter.com/NP36yjEXjP
"We understand it was a terrible performance on the scoreboard, but the scoreboard is what counts. We can talk a lot about a lot of things, but we know we need to be better.
"I've been involved in the Springboks now for 106 games, and we have been in a position like this before. We need to find a way back now against a very good New Zealand team.
"We got a hiding, so there will naturally be critics out there, and we will lay low, not read the papers and work hard to make sure we come back."
The second Test will take place in Cape Town next Saturday, and New Zealand head coach Dave Rennie is wary of what South Africa's reaction will be to this loss.
"Nothing in that game was easy, and while the scoreline may sound convincing, it was an absolute arm wrestle that could have gone any way," he said.
"The boys defended and defended, and when we got our opportunities, we were clinical. I was really proud of the massive effort from the players.
"It was a great result for us, but we are wary of the response we are going to get next week."











