article-image

Piastri expecting tough Qatar battle after taking pole ahead of Norris

0
0
Clock Icon9 hoursMotorsport

Oscar Piastri has predicted a tough outing at the Qatar Grand Prix despite qualifying ahead of McLaren team-mate and championship rival Lando Norris for Sunday's race. 

Having stormed to victory in the sprint earlier in the day, Piastri's late charge for a maiden world title continued to gather pace with a fine display in all three sessions of qualifying. 

Piastri finished 0.108 seconds ahead of Norris, who was forced to abort his final lap after losing grip at turn two, leaving the door open for the Australian to steal in. 

Indeed, it was Piastri's first pole position since the Dutch Grand Prix back in August, which was also the last time he stood on the top step after a difficult few months for McLaren. 

Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who must finish above Norris on Sunday to keep his title hopes alive, will start third on the grid, one place ahead of the Mercedes of George Russell. 

Piastri has already closed the gap to Norris to 22 points after a dominant sprint victory, but he acknowledged the difficulties he faces in ensuring the drivers' championship battle goes down to the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. 

"It will be pretty tough, with the two stops, we're going to be pushing pretty hard the whole time," Piastri said. 

"I don't think it's going to be as hot as a couple of years ago, so hopefully it's not as bad as that.

"I'm expecting it to be a pretty tough race, you're pulling an insane amount of G-force around here and multiple times a lap. It's hard work but incredible fun."

Norris will, however, become the 11th British Formula One title winner should he take the chequered flag ahead of Piastri and Verstappen, though his McLaren team-mate believes he has put himself in the best possible position to challenge at the front. 

"I will try my best, starting from the best spot, so I will try and do some more of what I did today in the sprint and see what we can do," Piastri added. 

While Norris was left to rue a missed opportunity to take pole, he insisted that starting on the front row is still a positive ahead of arguably the biggest race of his career. 

But with Verstappen still in with a shout of a fifth consecutive world title, Norris did not discount the Dutchman from having his say after his mid-season revival catapulted him back into contention. 

"You never know," Norris said. "The first few laps are always opportunities for everyone, but after there I think it's probably going to be pretty straightforward for everyone too."

Ahead of this weekend's action, McLaren also confirmed that they would allow both Norris and Piastri to battle it out on track, even with Verstappen lurking in the background. 

"Not yet, no. We just had qualifying," Norris added when asked if he knew how he would attack the first lap.

"Tonight, we will review some things and then see if I can do better than I did this morning, but otherwise, I think we are in a good position.

"The car has been feeling good. I was much happier today than yesterday, so progress, but it is a long race tomorrow."